Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I am gradually getting back into work on the neighbors farm. Last year I didn't start till May, so I'm getting a head start this year. I hope that this summers weather is warmer then last. It was rather chilly and I have to say I didn't get as good of a tan as I usually do! lol. Yesterday I worked for the afternoon, since mornings are still cool. Before work I had seen how to make pierogies on the Martha Stewart Show. We had some left over mashed potatoes from the night before so I decided to make potato pierogies. Here's the recipe from http://www.marthastewart.com/.
Potato Pierogies

Makes about 60.
Dough
Ingredients


1 large egg
2 tablespoons of sour cream
1 cup milk
1 cup water
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)


Directions
In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Add sour cream, and whisk until smooth. Add milk and 1 cup water, and whisk until combined. Slowly add about 3 cups flour, and stir with a wooden spoon to combine (I added about 4 1/2 cups). Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and work in about 1 cup flour (I used 1/2 cup) as you knead. Use a plastic scraper to lift dough as it will stick to the counter before flour is worked in. Continue kneading for 8 to 10 minutes, working in another 1/2 cup flour. The dough should be elastic in texture and no longer sticky. Be careful not to add too much flour, as this will toughen dough. Place dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rest while you prepare filling.


Filling
Mashed Potatoes
I used about 2 cups leftover homemade mashed potatoes.
Or
Place about 10 medium potatoes (peeled and quartered) in a large pot, and cover with cold water. Add salt. Place over high heat, and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender. Drain and Drain and mash with a potato masher. Add 4 tablespoons melted butter.
Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese ( I didn't have any cheddar cheese so I used parmesan cheese). Add 4 ounces cream cheese, mix till combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place a large pot of salted water over high heat, and bring to a boil Lay a clean linen towel on your counter, and evenly distribute cornmeal on it to prevent sticking.
On a floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick. using a glass or cookie cutter measuring 2 1/2 inches in diameter, cut out as many circles as possible. Gather dough scraps together, rolling them out again, and continue cutting. Place tilling into the center of each dough circle. Fold dough over filling, and pinch the edges, forming a well-sealed crescent. Transfer to linen towel. Continue this process.
Place pierogies in boiling water in batches. They will sink to the bottom of the pot, when they rise let cook for about a minute more. Meanwhile, drizzle platter with remaining 8 tablespoon melted butter. Remove pierogies from pot and transfer to platter. Serve immediately.
Since I made these ahead of time. We let them cool down and then for dinner we fried them with butter. They were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment